Thursday, September 4, 2008

Book Review-Deadly Obsessions





This reads like a traditional true crime story. When I reached the trial segment of the narrative it seemed as though most of the information was gathered through the court records. Some of the information that I had read before was being restated but it wasn't enough to think I was rereading the beginning of the book. This was confirmed when I read the epilogue and saw that of everyone involved only a few of the police officers agreed to be interviewed. Given the nature of this particular crime and the history of the more notorious Wisconsin criminals it is not that difficult to understand why.The story is written without it being gruesome. Some parts, however, are pretty intense.

I learned a few more things about forensic anthropology while reading this and I have a few questions about personality disorders that I plan to get answered soon. My only criticism with this book (and this is more of a personal preference) is chronology. Once the protagonist was arrested the writer tells of what jail was like for him due to the relevance at the hearing. Then he goes back to tell how the cops investigated the case which is simultaneous to the main character being locked up. I often get irritated trying to get the sequence of events back in order. But this particular author made references to things the suspect was doing in jail so I didn't have to flip back and forth as much to figure out the sequence of events. Kudos to Mr. Linedecker!

This was the first book authored by Clifford Linedecker that I have read and I enjoyed it. I would read another book written by him.

2 comments:

Heart of Glass said...

Julie
Welcome, I enjoyed visiting your blog -
You must read
The Evil Gene.
Hillary

Paul said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I read your profile and you had me at "like to read (a lot)." I look forward to more book reviews from you.

Do you have a Kindle yet? :)