Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Book Review-The Burn Journals


I read this book back in July. This is an autobiography of a fourteen year old named Brent Runyon. He seemed to be a normal kid but was secretly suffering from depression. Runyon had tried to commit suicide many times before. After a school prank had gotten out of hand he came home doused his robe in gasoline put the robe on and lit a match. Runyon experienced third degree burns over eighty-five percent of his body.

I read this book in a day and a half. The author's description of his injuries isn't particularly gruesome but is vivid enough that when I would get up to move around I would feel relieved that I was not wrapped up in gauze or be in that much pain.

Runyon goes through a fair amount of introspection during the book. The book indicates he goes through a lot more than I felt he did. Although he does question why he burns himself I do think there was still a lot of avoidance behavior going on as well.

Something else he doesn't do is seek the help of any of the available psychologists. I side with him on this. All but one of them seemed pompous.

This book isn't for the faint of heart. The writer went through a near death experience at such a young age and at his own hands. Even though this event took place in 1991 suicide is still a very delicate subject and this book is a testame
nt to that ( aside from his family only the nursing staff and psychologists knew how he came to be burned).

I work with people with mental illness and I also run a crisis line and I encounter suicidal people on a regular basis. This book made me see that people can hide (or deny) their depression even after such a blatant attempt in this case self immolation.

I have not read anything else authored by Brent Runyon but I certainly would.

Brent Runyon has made appearances on This American Life on NPR. His website is: burnjournals.com
. In addition there is also a myspace: myspace.com/burnjournals.


No comments: